French Toast Casserole
French toast is the ultimate comfort food, but this recipe takes the deliciousness a step further. With no dipping and flipping, you can assemble this recipe the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning to have an easy breakfast for the whole family. Lewis Bake Shop: Bread For The Way You Live™!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 loaf Lewis Bake Shop 24oz Texas Toast Bread (or 2 Half Loaves)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
Make ahead the night before:
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in brown sugar until it dissolves. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Place 1 layer of bread slices over mixture in baking dish to cover the bottom of the dish. (Note: you can cut the slices in 1 inch cubes if you would like, or you can simply lay the slices of bread in the pan as is.) Top the bread slices with 1/4 cup of pecans, if desired.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour half of the mixture over the bread slices in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Spread half of the topping over the bread slices in the baking dish.
- Place a second layer of bread slices and optional pecans in the baking dish, and pour the rest of the egg mixture over the bread. Lightly press bread down to make sure all the pieces are soaked in the mixture. Spread the remaining topping mixture on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning:
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator about 20-30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Loosely cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10-15 more minutes until the top is lightly browned. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with the syrup from the dish.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.